Saturday, February 23, 2013

Rabbit, Peacock, and The Wall In Between

EXT. Park

A shakespearean play in the park. As professional as PAUL can make it.

PAUL

Ladies and Gentleman! This is the story of Rabbit, Peacock, and the Wall In Between. In a wood much like this, there was a wall built by fear of strong stone. A king walked a top it and for years, hoping to destroy it, but it was not his wall, so he let it stand. But as he's paced it, the mortar between the rock crumbled ever so little, revealing a small hole, just large enough for a peek. With this established, we meet our antagonists.

ALISON

(Enters with bunny ears)

I am a Rabbit of this side of the Wall. / I'm tired of the others as they choose to call / me all the names that make me mad and make me blush. / They mocked my ears, I ran away in a rush. / I've listened. my ears perked up, they've been. / But the only sound is the king and the wind. / I wonder what on earth could be over there...

PAUL

(Enters with Peacock tail)

Why are the others even shaken and scared? / We are of that side, It's this much that we know / The king wants the wall to tumble down also. / But we say no, for foxes will eat us up / We peacocks are afraid of even a pup! / But, I see a hole in the wall of stone... /

ALISON

I'm scared, but i'm more so that i'll be alone... / I see someone! Hello! I believe that's a beak.

PAUL

Is this a fox? To whom do I speak?

ALISON

I'm a rabbit of this side of the wall.

PAUL

Step back so I can see you, fur coat and all. / Ah ha! You are a fox, I can see your ears!

ALISON

They mock my ears too, it's just as I fear. / Who is it on that side that makes fun of me? / I'll look through the hole in the wall, I must see.

PAUL

The fox's eye seeks for what food it can find! / I mustn't be eaten! How else can I hide? / I'll duck my head down, but he can still see my tail...

ALISON

Oh my wall! All I see are great green scales! / It can't be, but there once was a time I heard / of creatures called "dragons" that fly like a bird! / You can claim a life with a breath full of flame.

PAUL

That's right! I am a dragon. That is my name. / Go far from this wall, fox, or I.ll eat your heart! / That should do the trick to keep us both apart.

ALISON

I'm a rabbit and not, as you say, "a fox" / but I'll depart, dragon, from the wall of rocks.

PAUL

Well, good! Leave or, on you, misfortune befall!

King

Stop! You fools! Why must there be a wall at all? / I am the king and I beg of you, please / May I bring this awful wall down to its' knees?

ALISON

No, thanks. I don't want to upset the dragon

PAUL

And foxes hate us all, every single one!

KING

You are all blind yet believe what you perceive. / Rabbit, I see you alone. For that, I grieve. / The others mock your ears and I don't know why / But there are no dragons and they cannot fly! / They're not scales, but tail feathers. They're Peacock's / and Peacock, listen... Rabbit is not a fox!

PAUL

Why should I believe you, king up high on the wall?

KING

'cause I'm up high! Have you seen a fox at all?

PAUL

Well, no. But I know because...

KING

that's what I thought / I don't blame you. You're doing as you were taught. / The enemy will chew you up into bits / but don't be so scared to run off poor rabbits. / I promise you both will be the best of friends / If once and for all you let the wall's reign end.

PAUL

I am scared, but I trust you if you insist

ALISON

If Peacock's nice, may it no longer exist. / Hello! It's a pleasure to actually meet.

PAUL

What are the odds I'll be something you will eat?

ALISON

None, silly! All I eat are carrots and leaves!

PAUL

In that case, Hi! Your coat looks soft as fleece!

ALISON

Thank you! That is very nice of you to say. / I know of a fun game, would you like to play? / We chase around trees, it's called "Spin, Zip, and Trip".

PAUL

I love to Zip! What a start to our friendship!

KING

I'm happy they see each other true. But now... / I must see about a gazelle and a cow.

Curtain Call and if people see the play in the park, hopefully they applaud. If not, PAUL and ALISON are still pleased to present it.

No comments: