Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Story From Different Mediums


"Adopt Me? Adopt Us?"

Help me.
Help us.
We can’t breathe.
This torturous bubble surrounds us, taunting and teasing with the view of beauty;
Restricting movement, preventing our escape.

My mother left me.
Our mother left us.
She was young, that is all we know,
Judging from the small straps that held us lovingly and cruelly to her back.
And how carelessly she abandoned us for better things.

Why didn’t she keep me in her arms?
Why didn’t she keep us in her arms?
Didn’t she love us that much?
I think not.
I wish it weren’t so.

I am small.
We are small.
Both Brown, but of different shades,
Like brothers of different mothers,
Never doing what she did to us.

Will you be my mother?
Will you be our mother?
I will love you.
We will love you,
But don’t you leave us.

-Michael Evan Adent



"The Prologue"

I was walking through a damp, wet park one cold, early morning in Cannon Beach, OR when a man working there asked me, "do you want these?" he had in his hand a clear prison, with a yellow frame around it's childish geometry, and 2 matching yellow straps hanging from the back. Some call it a "backpack", but those of untainted perspective know it as "A Prison For The Inanimate." Inside, clearly exhibited inside were its 2 prisoners; a brown bear and a tan bear, each filled with the false, white, fluffy love that their former owner given them, and each slightly deflated from the harsh reality they were living. I felt some slight relief knowing that neither were alone, but still sorrow for their sad fate. "What about their owner?" I asked, believing that the jailkeeper cared enough for it's inmates to come back for them, but he responded to my dissatisfaction, "Look, if you don't take them, I'm throwing them away." That made my heart shutter at the thought of 2 innocent creatures being executed, and their only crime being the inability to hug a person back. i grabbed the bag from the man, like the protective mother bear i am. the man said, "have a nice day!" and i amused him, saying with all the strength i had, "you too." when i left the man's sight, i quickly grabbed the 2 from their cell, held them in my arms and sighed, "I'm sorry you were left." Not knowing how else to comfort them, i embraced them, trying to bring them worth to their near worthless existence. and in that embrace, i felt something no one will ever feel from them... a soft... but detectable... embrace...

-Michael Evan Adent



"The Author's Notes"

While some creative
License was taken, I swear
All is true as life.

-Michael Evan Adent

No comments: