Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My Death Bed is the Floor of My Savior's House (Save Me)

Lying on the icy tiles,
Having a little more
Of what doctor prescribed.

"You should be dead before the wait is over."

I just didn't know the staff was so helpful.
They let me take in the medication
Through the cracks of my linoleum bed.
They must be waiting for
My remission to relapse.
Don't worry, They'll check on me
When they finish their Vanity Fair.
Then, They will see
What it means to be
Forgotten, abandoned, and alone
By the sound of a silent groan and the sight of a lifeless blouse
As I died on the floor of My Savior's House.


*For Esmin Green. May it Never. Happen. Again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What happened to Esmin Green is terrible. You hear about things like this and you can't imagine that someone would actually let this happen. It's like the woman who died on the plane because none of the flight attendants wanted to take the time to help her. The world is so full of sorrow that sometimes you need to turn away from it for awhile. There's nothing wrong with being concerned for the atrocities in the world, in fact it is the symptom that marks many great caring people. Be careful how deep you get though. It's easy to spiral down so deep as to be unrescuable by anyone but yourself. And sometimes... you don't want to be rescued. I don't know, maybe I'm way off base, and maybe I'm not saying the things you want to hear, or even the person you want to hear things from. But consider the great wonderful things the creator put on the earth, and in the cosmos as well as the atrocities that need changing. It is the torch that will keep you sane.

Evan Adent said...

I think you are reading into it a lot more, which I'm flattered to think you think that deeply into something. I just heard that story and it sounded so... It was merely something I had to document poetically. Do you understand I don't find myself dying on the floor unattended? I guess (if you want to be technical) i was abusing her death with dramatics. Does this make sense?

Unknown said...

That may be... I just see the word alone used a lot in your online publications and it worries me slightly.