Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Creature Without a Heart

Cuddling in a comforter,
My sheep approach the fence for roll call.

But a noise shot the sheep...

"Who's there?" I whimper.

The Creature Without a Heart,
Clawing on the closet door,
Banging and begging , "Let me free from my cursed cage!"

Fear prevented me from answering,
Fear that my only protection was a comforter and parental reassurance.

"You are not real."
(so they tell me)

Cackling in the prison cell,
The Creature Without a Heart sneered with sound,
Beckoned with his breathe, and taunted me,
"Let me out and prove it..."

Fear transformed.
A slaughtered herd in my mind.
By their blood-stained fleece,
I had too many sleepless nights.

"Fine! I'm coming for you."

The Creature Without a Heart covered his mouth,
(He didn't mean to squeal)

With no comforter, I approached the Creature.
My heart larger than his empty chest,
I opened his gate to a familiar sight,
Corduroys, my favorite jeans, and button-up shirts.

Heartless Creature
I didn't know you were lacking a spine as well...

No comments: